Need some inspiration, education and rejuvenation to battle those winter blues? Then check out the events on our February Top 10 Portland marketing events list. There’s something for everyone this month. If you’re newer to the market check out Social Media (the Basics) – Part 1. For those who want to deep dive into some of today’s hottest strategies in search and social marketing, check out SearchFest 2012 for a day of presentations suiting a variety of skill levels. Whatever you do, don’t forget to grab some business cards and head out to one of the many great networking opportunities like AMA’s Blind Piggin’ with the Blazers.
Here are TMMPDX.COM’s picks for the top Portland Marketing Events:
SearchFest presents multiple informative learning tracks, workshops, and panel sessions designed to provide direct insight into the most up-to-date strategies and technological advancements in online search marketing and social marketing. Industry experts and thought leaders from around the country deliver in-depth presentations ranging from basic SEM and social media fundamentals to specific advanced
techniques. For more information on the speakers and topics, check out the SearchFest 2012 Agenda.
2) Leveraging LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter: Ways to Reduce Time Spent and Increase Visibility for Your Business – Thursday, February 16th from 9:30am – 4:30pm at the Ambridge Event Center: 1333 NE MLK Jr. Blvd Portland, OR 97232. Register: $199-$249.
Social Media has become a very important piece of the Internet Marketing puzzle; yet, it can be intimidating to get traction. In this six-hour class, Colleen Wright of Search Engine Academy Northwest will walk you through some critical components needed to create a successful Social Media campaign for your business.
- What social media marketing is and how it can help you grow your business
- Developing Goals and Strategies for your Social Media Campaign
- Working hands on with the big three platforms: LinkedIn, FaceBook and Twitter
Twitter is more than just the world’s liveliest cocktail party. It’s also an innovative way to communicate and to uncover powerful insights into your audience. Join OCIABC on February 16 when we welcome
Twitter maestro Catherine Carr, a brand consultant with 15 years of experience as a creative, consumer-focused brand thinker at Hasbro, Cranium, Microsoft, and Secret Sauce Creative. Catherine will take you past the basics and demonstrate how you can use Twitter to inform, inspire, amplify and reveal connections and opportunities.
4) A Change in Trade: Why the Linear and Prescriptive Innovation Process is No Longer Relevant in a Digital World – Thursday, February 23rd from 11:30am – 1:00pm. Location to be determined. Register: $45 – $65.
The design world is in a state of flux; the big agency and linear budget-busting approaches to solving problems are breaking down. New brands are born daily and old strategies no longer suffice to support them. This presents an exciting opportunity for the field of design to rethink its trade and either continue to innovate, or break. PAF welcomes David Thorpe and Oved Valadez of INDUSTRY (previously at Ziba) to discuss the shift in how to approach design with the necessary adaptive perspective in today’s design world.
Ryan Coulter, Creative Director in the Digital Lifestyle Group at Ziba Design (a Portland-based strategic design and innovation consultancy) will be on hand to discuss the history, market, value and future of design. He’ll also present a case study of creative design and implementation.
Design, especially as a tool for business success and market differentiation, is often misunderstood. As a mix of art, engineering and research, it’s hard to pin down the definition and value of design. This presentation will provide some context as to what design is, how design helps to build brands and how to measure the success of design.
Design isn’t a discipline set aside solely for big corporations or the creative industry. It’s a set of tools and a way of seeing the world that can help businesses and brands succeed in the marketplace. It’s a very broad field, but at the end of the day the results of good design practice can be measured in the way businesses like to measure most everything: in dollars.
- Understand the role that design plays in branding and marketing efforts for businesses of all levels
- Learn about how the design process works and ways to quantify a project’s/campaign’s effectiveness
- See real world case studies of successful design with leading brands
6) SEMpdx’s February 13 Event: Speed Dating with Experts – Monday, February 13th from 4:30pm – 6:30pm at Aboutus.org: 107 SE Washington, Suite 520, Portland, Oregon 97214. Register: $33 – $55.
Potentially even more helpful than SEMpdx’s “Hot Seat”, where general SEO reviews are performed live, this event will be quite different.
Tables will be set up on various topics, with an expert at each table to answer any and all questions you might have. Semi-private consulting advice about whatever topic you want. This meeting will be fully interactive, and there will be no speakers, no PowerPoint slides, and no fluff. You’ll simply go from table to table and ask questions, learn from the questions of others, or even share some of what you know.
Social media has grown and evolved tremendously over the past several years. Facebook is now reporting over 800 million users, Twitter has said there are 250 million tweets per day, which breaks down to roughly 2,900 per second. Everywhere we look we see social media playing a role. So, as a business, how are you taking advantage of social media platforms and tools to help extend your brand and messaging? Attend Formic Media’s Free Seminar Series to learn how these platforms can help elevate your business online. Join the Formic team as they discuss individual social media sites, tools, SEO benefits and more. Register now to save your seat! Please note that this seminar is Part 1 in a two-part series, and focuses specifically on the Basics of Social Media. Our Part 2 follow-up seminar on March 14th will cover advanced social media tactics and strategies.
8) AMA’s Blind Piggin’ with the Blazers – Tuesday, February 21st from 5:30pm – 10:00pm, at the International Paper Room in the Memorial Coliseum: 300 North Winning Way, Portland, OR 97208. Register: $43 – $69, must purchase tickets by February 1st.
Get your tickets now to this exclusive AMA offer for the Trail Blazers game vs. the San Antonio Spurs Feb. 21, 2012 at 7pm. Note: You do not need to be an AMA member to attend this event. Friends of AMA are
welcome! The American Marketing Association’s Blind Pig Networking Brigade invites you to a Blazer night “net-working” party in the most literal sense. Enjoy heavy appetizers while you mix and mingle at our pre-game networking party and learn what it takes to market a successful NBA team from a seasoned Blazer Sales and Marketing Executive! If that weren’t enough, you’ll get a choice seat at the game to help cheer on the Blazers as they rival the San Antonio Spurs.
Join fellow professionals for an evening at Brix Tavern. Show an hour early at 4:30 pm to hear the “What Do I Really Want in a Career? Defining the What and the Why of It.” Workshop led by Sunil Varma.
10) Get Noticed in 15-seconds -Smart Reader Strategies featuring PCC CLIMB - Wednesday, February 15th from 8:00am – 9:30am at 851 SW 6th Ave. #500, Portland, OR 97204. Register: $15.
The average person receives up to 5000 messages a day. Will your prospect remember who you are the next time the need comes up? Craft your message to be the one that will be heard and remembered. Smart Reader Strategies help individuals learn how to effectively navigate the Portland Business Journal to create a qualified prospect pipeline in 30 minutes every week. In this session, PCC CLIMB sales expert, Christine Richards will help attendees hone a 15 second memorable introduction to make your marketing message hit home every time.
This program will enable participants to:
- Discover the real purpose of introductions
- Understand the reasons why people buy and why trust is so important
- Create and practice their memorable 15-second introduction
- Uncover hundreds of new sales leads weekly
- Connect with clients